The EERA Joint Programme on Wind Energy was officially launched at the SET-Plan conference in Madrid in June 2010. JP Wind’s Strategic Action Plan outlines the plans to progress this work for the period 2014-2017. It is complemented by the JP Wind Strategy for 2014-2030 which outlines the proposed research agenda towards 2030.
The mission for EERA JP Wind is to provide strategic leadership for the technical medium to long term research and to support the European Wind Initiative and the Technology Roadmap activities on wind energy.
The vision of the EERA JP Wind is to move from a voluntary network towards a “virtual research centre” running an Integrated Research Programme. The is expected to result in a more strategic approach to knowledge sharing and integration. The key aims are to:
- Foster better integration of European research activities in specific technology domains with the aim to accelerate the transition towards a low-carbon economy and maintain and increase European competitiveness.
- Benefit existing priority settings as well as improve the quality and implementation of future priority settings through the coordinating effect on the research communities.
- Integrate the various capacities and resources in the joint research activities described in the IRPWIND with ongoing European and national projects carried out by IRP partners and/or other EERA JP members.
Joint Programme and Sub-programmes
- Wind Conditions. Coordinated by Dr. Hans Ejsing Jørgensen, DTU Wind Energy (DK)
- Aerodynamics. Coordinated by Dr. Peter Eecen, ECN (NL)
- Offshore Wind Energy. Coordinated by Dr. John O. Tande, SINTEF (NO)
- Grid Integration. Coordinated by Dr. Kurt Rohrig, FhG IWES (DE)
- Research Facilities. Coordinated by Dr. Felix Avia, CENER (ES)
- Structural design and materials. Coordinated by Dr. Denja Lekou, CRES (GR)
- Wind integration – economic and social aspects. Coordinated by Prof. Poul Erik Morthorst, DTU Management Engineering
Prof. William Leithead (University of Strathclyde) of the Wind SuperGen is participating in sub-programmes on grid integration and offshore wind. Please contact Prof. Leithead or Michael Weston for more information and to get involved.